Wednesday, August 12, 2009

What's in a name?

We are having a baby in a few short months and we still have not completely settled on a name. Our delima is that we have confined ourselves to using only names that begin with the letter M. That in itself is not bad and we rather enjoy all of our little M's but now we feel like we have run out of name options. Every girl name we like is too similar to the names we have already picked for our other girls. I love the name Maya (Maia) but we already have a Mylea. We just feel like it is too similar and would add that much more confusion to our constant fumbling M's that continually spill out of our mouths. I know no sympathy after all we did this to ourselves. So Malcham has decided that it is his turn to name a baby and I agreed to this since he really had very little to say about Mylea's name. He agreed to it but I did all of the naming. So far he has refused to talk about any girl names. He likes nothing that I suggest but while on our family vacation a name suggestion came about and I think he likes it. At least a little anyway. So here is what I am asking. 1. Do you like the name? 2. Do you think we will ruin out little girl if we name her this? 3. How do you think we should spell it? 4. What middle name goes best with it? I am up for any suggestions and I will not be offended. So here it is MADDOX. Yes I know it is a boy name but it is seriously the only name Malcham has even liked a little bit. The kids have been calling her Maddox for a while now but instead of pronouncing it Maddox that have changed it a bit to Madix or Madyx. So any ideas on a great spelling of this name? It is beginning to stick. As far as middle names go we have said Faith, Leah, or Hunter. Please let me know what you think.

7 comments:

engstewart said...

Hmm, Maddox- I kind of like it- a little unusual but not so much that it's out of the question in my opinion. I personally like the spelling Madyx- it's not too often you see a name with "yx" in it... you could call her Doxy for short :)

There's always Maid Marian, Meeples, Minnie, Mylanta, Murtha, Myrtle, Moopsie, Melba, Mink, Mudd, and the ever-popular Moronica.

Claudia said...

What about Marian, Mabel,Mackenzie, Mariela or Mallorie?
Probably Maddox is more like a boys name.( It makes me think of Angelina Jolie's son Maddox)but is my opinion only! :)
I know that naming a baby its so hard!

Amy said...

If you go with it, I'd do one of the "alternative" spellings - I think they feminize it a bit. Also, I'd go with an ultra-feminie middle name (ie, not Hunter...). I like Faith the best of the 3 listed. Good luck! It took us forever to settle on Eve's name, and then we ended up changing her middle name last week! (I hope Robert was okay with that... I kind of decided to change it to the "alternative" one - checked with him and thought I had the okay, but then he seemed surprised when I said I'd put the new one on the birth certificate... oh, well - it's done!) BTW - congrats on the baby! Good luck with it all!

Steph said...

Maddox only if you like her being called Maddie. People will probably shorten it without your permission!
I like the spelling of Maddox the best.
Good luck!
I would go with an ultra fem middle name to escape confusion. People think Colbie is a boy until they see she is "Colbie Belle". Hunter is so cute but sounds really masculine.

Quite Content said...

Hey Mel,
I saw your post and naming a baby is really sometimes hard. I like the name, but in the end it is really what you and Malcham decide. I like the name Molly. I would also go with a feminine middle name if you go with a more traditional masculine sounding first name. Good luck. It is almost around the corner. Any trips to Houston in the near future. I have a big box of girl clothes with Baby M's name on it. ;0) We love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Hey you. I've been meaning to comment back to you, but haven't found the time. Okay, my opinion... I like the name Maddox, but automatically think of Angelina & Brad's baby; which is a boy. BUT I do think nowadays, any name goes. I mean, people have named their children apple and pilot for heaven's sake. :) If you do choose Maddox, I would spell it with Madyx... a little more girly. You could call her "Maddie"... that's cute! Just a thought. :) As far as middle names go, I would do a really girly name for the middle name.
In the end, all that matters is that you and Malcahm like the name, so if you like Maddox then I think it will be just perfect! It's unique, which I like. Good luck with the name game... so hard to do sometimes, huh?! Keep us updated on what you picked as well as your pregnancy. Miss you!

Stephenie said...

Regardless of what you name your baby, it will be wonderful. The name you choose will be perfect for the baby and will fit it well. If you like Maddox, use it. I do like the different spelling with the yx to make it more girlie. It is different, but will be so cute.

All the "m" names I can think of are pretty usual. I like the Allen's Matilda. I think Maddyx would be great!